The Secret World

The place for CGA visitors to write their very own reviews about the games and mods they've played.

Moderator: Trustees

The Secret World

Postby b-nutz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:39 pm

FYI, I've pre-ordered this and will be playing Friday for the early access. I only played the beta for a couple hours and I saw enough to convince me I'll get my money's worth (A couple hundred hours easy).

*licks Funcom's balls*
b-nutz
Centurion

Re: The Secret World

Postby SicPreFix » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:49 pm

Hey, b, please keep us posted about this one. It got my curiousity when I saw an early, um, trailer, or whatever you call it these days for a sneak peek at a game.
Couch potatoes don't matter on the Web, crazy people do.
SicPreFix
MC Siccy Pee

Postby Scalpy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:10 am

Looks interesting. Is there a release date?
"Give me back my sock, you goat bastard!"
Scalpy
Cornicularius

Postby b-nutz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:14 am

July 3. :)
b-nutz
Centurion

Postby Cron » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:19 am

Riddles played the beta, but from what I heard I wasn't sold on it so didn't bother.
Would appreciate a indepth review once youve played for a bit, interesting concept for an MMO.

Like you say if you get some play time out of it, why the hell not. I paid £24 for Tera and had a month's worth of play time and fun. Only stopped really because I started playing WoW again and can't play two... plus MMO's its generally the people you play with as much as the game itself and no other bugger was playing Tera! lol

| PSN: Cron_13 |
| Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/cron_13/ |
Cornicularius

Postby b-nutz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:50 am

Okay, guys... check out the map for the first zone (it's a big file):

http://thamal.de/tsw/Kingsmouth_Town_marker.jpg

Firstly, the town is named KINGsmouth and it's in the state of MAINE, which is part of NEW ENGLAND. I'm sure y'all can think of two HUGE authors whose influences will be saturating the quests in this zone based on that info alone. Now look at the map again and look at the street names and stuff. The first quests I did involved protecting a barricaded police station from rushing hordes of zombies. It almost felt as if I was playing a MMORPG version of Left 4 Dead.

I know one of the later zones is Transylvania, which has got to be a lot of fun, and I know that you like go back in time (or something) and see Mayans and Vikings and shit, too.

Also... Age of Conan engine with modern settings. It's gorgeous!
b-nutz
Centurion

Postby SicPreFix » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 am

b, S. King of course. Who is the second author?
SicPreFix
MC Siccy Pee

Postby b-nutz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Think H.P. Sauce. :)

Also, something really great I noticed was the voice work. The New England accents are spot on and none of the dialog yet seems out of place or broken.
b-nutz
Centurion

Postby b-nutz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:11 pm

Here's a neat video preview of some of the zones:

http://www.gamespot.com/the-secret-worl ... s-6383836/
b-nutz
Centurion

Postby SicPreFix » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:39 pm

Think H.P. Sauce

Ah, yes, I see. I don't read him so that's why I didn't think of him.

Thanks.
SicPreFix
MC Siccy Pee

Postby DoG » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:04 pm

I like the tree travel guys :D
Dogtag -Bountyhunter Powertech
Dogtags - Imperial Agent Sniper
DoG
Optio

Postby b-nutz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:30 pm

Oh yeah... When I first saw the World Tree Hub Thing, I was like that's the most outlandish thing they could have possibly put in the game! It's fucking great!
b-nutz
Centurion

Postby DoG » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:01 am

I actually think I will buy it now I know what the release date of GW2 is... Too bad I can only start only July 3rd... Is it stable Seth?
Dogtag -Bountyhunter Powertech
Dogtags - Imperial Agent Sniper
DoG
Optio

Postby b-nutz » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:03 am

Stable? I played almost all weekend and my client crashed like three times. Also, there are several broken quests in the first few zones, which I hope they'll be fixing asap. It seems like it's always on a part towards the end of a quest (the most aggravating part of it), when you have to use an item to spawn something or you're waiting for an item to spawn. A couple of them were on really fucking well done quest lines and it made me sad. This is par for the course for Funcom with a game at release, though. I expected it and it doesn't bother me too much.

Those are pretty major gripes, but the game is quite good anyway. It does this by doing away with or significantly altering almost every MMORPG convention you're used to without actually making it unrecognizable as a MMORPG.

First, you do not level like in other games. Every time you earn enough experience to fill up your xp bar, you've earned 3 Action Points and 1 Skill Point. The skills and the skill "trees" (think radial design) very much work like Star Wars Galaxies did, except you're not limited to how many trees you can fill up (if you spend enough time, you can learn every skill in the game). You spend Action Points in the skill radial to learn the skills. You spend Skill Points to raise one (or both) of two factors for that skill radial set (like hammers, assault rifles or chaos magic). So in that sense, you can be a "level 5" in hammers because you've boosted the damage of your hammer skill by five blocks. Your character with a "level 5" (in this game, it's called "quality level") in hammers performs in combat as you think a "level 5" normally would. Make sense? No? Good... it's a confusing system at first, but you'll find it works really well. Also, ALL quests are repeatable, so if you fuck up your toon a bit, you can just go back and repeat quests to earn more APs and SPs.

The next big thing they change is how you think of armor. Armor, or the equipment you gain statistics from, comes from talismans that you don't see on your character. What you see on your character is clothing that serves only for cosmetic purposes. This game takes place in modern settings and allows you to dress up your toon to fit the world how you want. Here's my guy:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7277/7483 ... 4d2e_h.jpg

That brings me to my favorite part, the modern setting. The first zones are in a small Maine town that are liberally filled with content referencing all sorts of modern horror pop culture, like Stephen King, HP Lovecraft, George Romero (lots of zombies!), Edgar Allen Poe, etc and American myths and legends (like Sasquatch!). There are cars, cemetaries, an amusement park... all the mobs fit the area they're in (like zombie firemen at the local fire house). Every quest has a little cut scene at the beginning and the voice-acting is REALLY well done. I did my first dungeon last night and it's basically a portal to hell that's in a roadside motel. The monsters are very demonic in appearance.

Um...

The game is not easy. They don't hold your hand for very long on anything. A lot of the quests involve riddles and clues that require you to use your brain and even actual research. I shit you not, the clue for one quest was a message left for someone in morse code. If you do not know morse code, you are more or less fucked without cheating and looking up the solution or actually taking the time to write down the message and learn a little bit of morse code (I cheated. Fuck you.). Also, you will get buttraped by regular mobs if you're not familiar enough with the synergy of the skills you've chosen and don't pick through them carefully. The dungeon bosses are incredibly difficult at lower levels. The first couple dungeons are no easier than a WoW heroic 5-man. I was shocked at how tough it is and how much coordination it requires.

I'll try to think of more stuff and post later.
b-nutz
Centurion

Postby b-nutz » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:57 am

Read this stuff:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=7337

I've been focused on only one skill and probably gimped myself temporarily by not training multiple weapons to take advantage of more synergy and role-flexibility. It really is a deep, deep system.
b-nutz
Centurion

Postby b-nutz » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:48 pm

The game just got a lot better tonight, too. I figured out that you kinda need to train more than one skill and blend the abilities together. I'm putting out way more dmg now and it's less of a slog. Plus, I get cool new abilities to play with!

I'm very much sold on this skill system, folks.
b-nutz
Centurion

Postby SicPreFix » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:34 am

I think I might have missed something. Is this another must-play-online and must-play-with-other people game?
SicPreFix
MC Siccy Pee

Postby Erick-EZ » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:07 am

I was in the webbased beta thingy for this.. and i didnt pay much attention to it. But what you write draws my attention...

I might get this in like 2 months when all the stress here has dissapeared.
Erick-EZ
Signifier

Postby b-nutz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:20 am

SicPreFix wrote:I think I might have missed something. Is this another must-play-online and must-play-with-other people game?

Must play online anyway. You could solo your way through the content if you wanted.
b-nutz
Centurion

Postby SicPreFix » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:01 pm

Ah, okay. Thanks.

:(
SicPreFix
MC Siccy Pee

Next

Return to Game Reviews