Skyrim

The place for CGA visitors to write their very own reviews about the games and mods they've played.

Moderator: Trustees

Re: Skyrim

Postby b-nutz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:05 pm

<-- The only person somewhat underwhelmed by the Skyrim
b-nutz
Centurion

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:19 pm

That's because you want the skyrim sandbox with Dark Souls gameplay :P
Wolf
Optio

Postby b-nutz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:04 pm

I don't know if that's it, but I'm definitely not driven to play Skyrim like I was Dark Souls.
b-nutz
Centurion

Postby spoo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:02 pm

chilled? chilled? try running from a dragon only to run straight into a mamoth camp at night with very pissed of giant herders :P
spoo
Optio

Postby CosmicRayInterference » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:34 am

spoo wrote:chilled? chilled? try running from a dragon only to run straight into a mamoth camp at night with very pissed of giant herders :P

...well, best way to kill a dragon is actually to run into a mamoth camp. Get the dragon to aggro the giant and then hack it down. After the dragon is dead the giant should be at low health, a prime target for a soul capture (giants have grand souls). Another trick is to cast your animal allegiance shout on the mamoth(s) and have them tank the dragon.
The latter also works if you want to get a grand soul and mamoth tusk, aggro the giant, run towards the mamoth and use animal allegiance on it. Watch the fight and cast soul capture on the mamoth. 1v1 the Giant will take down the mamoth.
CosmicRayInterference
Signifier

Postby spoo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:39 am

problem is i don't have that shout yet :) and when i ran into that camp i was hit for six by thier great big clubs. man did i fly :)

i usually take down a dragon by running it towards some innocent creature or using a good cover spot like a tower etc. use bow until the dragon decides to land then charge it with my sword in one hand and heal spell in the other. usually works.

in oblivion i used online guides to make the most effecient leveling charactor but in skyrim i'm just exploring enjoying myself :)
spoo
Optio

Postby CosmicRayInterference » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:54 am

You can get that shout when you do the Companion Quest line, 2 other components are available in world locations:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Animal_Allegiance

edit: Another tip, head over to the mages college as early as possible. Careful with the gatekeeper, steer the dialog towards using a shout if you have a melee char. Otherwise you might not have enough magica to cast the spell required to enter (happened to me).
CosmicRayInterference
Signifier

Postby Scalpy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:11 am

This game....is.....my favourite game ever. There I've said it.

Now using the Mace of Molag Bal. Pure evil!!!
"Give me back my sock, you goat bastard!"
Scalpy
Cornicularius

Postby Weazle » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:28 am

You can find shouts all over the place by simple exploration. Any caves along your trips may have them so its great to encourage that kind of wandering about. There was a nooby thing I did, for 45 levels I hadn't realised you could unlock shouts with dragon souls ... I've killed over 30 dragons but none of the shouts would be selectable ..... wasn't until a mate pointed it out that the dragon souls I've been collecting can be used to unlock them through the spells menu :loser:

Mace of Molag Bal .... loved how I had to be evil to do that .... plus there's another item I got where I had to sacrifice someone .... yes this game allows that dark side. Dark Brotherhood side quests are mostly assassination and Thieves Guild are all about stealing stuff .... yeah total bad guy stuff :D
Main Website: CreepCultMurderers(dot)com | Demos: myspace(dot)com/creepcultmurderers
"Is it true that there is a place in a man's head that if you shoot it .... it will blow up?" - PC Danny Butterman
Weazle
Trustee

Postby Rossi » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:41 am

I think I suck at this game. Need to do more exploring and not be scared of the possible monsters.
Video games. Bleeping blooping masturbatory aids for emotionally crippled social outcasts. Probably male outcasts. Probably physically repugnant and sexually inexperienced. Probably frightened of the real world. Probably standing here on this very spot saying these very words to a camera right now. Probably me, basically. Video games are for losers like me. Apparently. - Charlie Brooker

Fuck console fps's, its like remote controlling a fat kid! - DoG, 2010.
"If the Arsenal players don't like being tackled, they should go and play basketball or netball or one of the other games." - Joey Barton, NUFC 2011.
Rossi
First Centurion

Postby Nofear » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:05 am

I'm still not sure which quest line to finish first, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Mages, Main, I keep jumping from on to the other but it's getting annoying changing armour. Any advice in terms of getting juicy items by finishing the quest lines?
Nofear
Optio

Postby Kazuko » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:37 pm

:O
Kazuko
Legionnaire

Postby Scalpy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:50 pm

Nofear wrote:I'm still not sure which quest line to finish first, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Mages, Main, I keep jumping from on to the other but it's getting annoying changing armour. Any advice in terms of getting juicy items by finishing the quest lines?

Changing armour? Pfff! Just go with what you have :D

The Nightingale armour is pretty nice.
"Give me back my sock, you goat bastard!"
Scalpy
Cornicularius

Postby CosmicRayInterference » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:05 am

Yea no need to change armor, it's actually counterproductive. You want to stick with one type or armor (heavy/light/cloth), Mages get an armor spell.

Also pick a weapon and stick with it until your skill with your main weapons/armor is high enough. Dabbling causes you to raise in levels to fast without having a really strong offense/defense skill.

Here are a couple combat playstyles that work well:
DPS Warrior : Heavy Armor + Two Handed; secondary: Archery, Restoration, Smithing, Enchanting
Warrior Tank: Heavy Armor + 1Handed + Block; secondary: Archery, Restoration, Smithing, Enchanting
Thief/Rogue: Light Armor + 1Handed + Sneak + Archery; secondary: Alchemy, Enchanting, Smithing
Mage: never played a pure mage

I prefer either the DPS warrior or the Thief. Thief is very strong at higher levels. With some of the perks in the sneak tree you can 1shot most enemies from stealth. It just takes some patience to position and strike. Combined with a good bow and archery you can pick off groups from afar with ease. The tank warrior's main weakness is vs. Mages until you find shield(s) with high resists.
Smithing combined with Enchanting is amazing at high levels. With enchanting you can make 4 pieces with +25 Smithing skill which in turn lets you enhance weapon and armor stats to extreme levels. The skill/resist stats from enchanting are just as good. +40 combat skill and +40 resist on a single item.
CosmicRayInterference
Signifier

Postby Ralphman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm playing the same as I did in Oblivion. Warrior with light armor and two hander. No magic and no potions (well I use those I find but don't make any), all points into fighting and health.

That means that when I've run through the game as a warrior I've basically only gone through 30% or so of the content and can then play a character that does all the other stuff but doesn't bother with the main quest.
Twitter - Blog
GW2(Desolation)
Ëir - Norn Elementalist | Coldoro - Asura Engineer | Twïg - Sylvari Ranger | Ofibo - Asura Necromancer | Aigin - Norn Warrior
Ralphman
Trustee

Postby Kazuko » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:26 am

raining cheese!
Kazuko
Legionnaire

Postby Ralphman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:28 am

Cheeses!
Twitter - Blog
GW2(Desolation)
Ëir - Norn Elementalist | Coldoro - Asura Engineer | Twïg - Sylvari Ranger | Ofibo - Asura Necromancer | Aigin - Norn Warrior
Ralphman
Trustee

Postby timb3r » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:36 am

timb3r
Trustee

Postby Kazuko » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:50 am

downloaded the mp3 :]
now i wish that the pc version ran smoother on my machine :x
Kazuko
Legionnaire

Postby Ralphman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:33 pm

Pretty damn good performance :)
Twitter - Blog
GW2(Desolation)
Ralphman
Trustee

PreviousNext

Return to Game Reviews