Skyrim: Killing Alduin

The place for CGA visitors to write their very own reviews about the games and mods they've played.

Moderator: Trustees

Skyrim: Killing Alduin

Postby SicPreFix » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:47 pm

So, I vanquished Alduin. But I had to do it my way, so to speak.

I figured attacking Alduin would be something of a challenge, so I went to the Skyrim Wiki to get some tips. The Skyrim WIki told me to:

1. Use the Staff of Magnus (with enough soul gems for two recharges).
2. Use the Dragonrend Shout (in particular, use it early so as to avoid the asteroid storm).
3. Call up a Storm Atronach.
4. Use Shadowmere as a helper.
5. Use shock and lightining spells / staffs.

I ran through the fight four times before I lived long enough to vanquish the dragon. In the first three fights, each lasting approximately 5 to 7 minutes, I used all of the tips recommended by the Skyrim Wiki, and in each case by the the time I died, Alduin had been damaged approximately only 5 percent, that's right, after 5 to 7 minutes of Staff of Magnus, Dragonrend Shouts, Storm Atronachs, etc., Alduin still had about 95 percent health.

As far as I can determine, having tried it several times at several different points of the fight, the Dragonrend Shout is next to useless. Contrary to the Skyrim Wiki, it never, not once, regardless of when I used it, brought Alduin to the ground, nor did it ever at any time stop Alduin from using the Asteroid Storm. The Staff of Magnus, which I used for each fight with at least four full recharges, did bug-fuck all; completely useless; might as well have been throwing spitballs, and the Storm Atronachs (and Shadowmere), died in about 2 seconds.

What did work (and brought Alduin to the ground and avoided the asteroid storm), was shock and lightning spells and staff, and once Alduin was on the ground, and what worked best, and finally won the fight for me, was the Dragonbane sword. It was very effective.

This is the first time that I found an Elder Scrolls Wiki to be so useless. Rather a suprise, actually.
Couch potatoes don't matter on the Web, crazy people do.
SicPreFix
MC Siccy Pee

Re: Skyrim: Killing Alduin

Postby Styx » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:02 am

was alduin the big boss from the original game?

If so I walked it without even slowing down, just like I did the last 1/3 of the game. I got too powerful too early and reached the point where I didn't have to work to kill dragons, I could just stand next to them whacking away while they and all their friends blasted away at me to bugger all effect.

I quite liked skyrim for a while, then it became about getting it finished rather than playing it.
Styx
Cornicularius

Postby SicPreFix » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:17 pm

I don't know if he is the ultimate big boss. He's the big boss at the end of chapter 2 (of a total of 3 chapters).

The first time I played the game I got as far as about a third of the way through, at which point I, like you, was too powerful, and nothing stood in my way. So I restared the game with a slightly different character selection, and a slightly differant approach to game play. This time through things are more balanced, and the bad guys actually stand a bit of a chance.

I find it a bit odd how each edition of an elder scrolls game is so different when it comes to balance and levelling. Morrowind was, I think, the best so far in all aspects. And while the balance in Oblivion was good, the levelling process was really borked and could quite easily become impossible. In this game, the balance starts well, but can easily fall apart if you don't choose the right character and the right style of play.
SicPreFix
MC Siccy Pee

Postby SicPreFix » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:19 pm

Also, I should say, I find the dragons to be a general pain in the ass. It seems like every second time I exit a dungeon or a city there's a dragon to be fought. Blah.
SicPreFix
MC Siccy Pee

Postby Weazle » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:23 pm

I did so much side-questing that by the time I went back to the main quest to kill Alduin ... all the enemies were easier due to my high level :lol

It is recommended to finish the main quest around level 30-40 or something like that from what I remember someone saying.
Main Website: CreepCultMurderers(dot)com | Demos: myspace(dot)com/creepcultmurderers
"Is it true that there is a place in a man's head that if you shoot it .... it will blow up?" - PC Danny Butterman
Weazle
Trustee

Postby Wolf » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:10 am

I think i just used Dragonrend to force him to land, hit him with my sword & shieldbashed him every now and then.

Worked like a charm ^_^
Wolf
Optio

Return to Game Reviews