Need book recommendations

A forum dedicated to discussing new or old films, music, books or other forms of media

Moderator: Trustees

Postby Styx » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:40 am

Bored.
Need someone to recommend something worth reading.
Bearing in mind that I prefer sci-fi and fantasy and I've already read the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Anyone?
Styx
Cornicularius

Postby Akaz1976 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:12 pm

Brandon Sanderson. Pretty much anything by him but particularly warbreaker.

Patrick rothfuss. He has just two books out. Same series but good.

Peter V Brett (I think) two books out first was Painted Man.

For lighter reading. Jim butcher. Both Furies (I for get series name) and Dresden files are fun.
Akaz1976
Legionnaire

Re: Need book recommendations

Postby Shagnasty » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Woken Furies by Richard K. Morgan!

It's actually the third book of a trilogy, but it's amazing.

Whether you choose to read Altered Carbon and Broken Angels is up to you....

I did, but they didn't come anywhere close to Woken Furies in terms of depth of universe (Banks has some serious competition from this guy, and I love Banks!).

Follow it with "Thirteen" by the same author.
Sic may well be minimising the bush wanking incident, but not half as much as the rest of you are minimising the anal rape with a stick.
Shagnasty
Trustee

Postby Styx » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:28 pm

Read the Dresden Files series. Not bad. They should have given the tv series a proper chance.
I'm not a fan of Banks at all

But I'll lookup the others. Cheers boys

Brandon Sanderson,
Patrick Rothfuss
Peter V Brett
Richard K Morgan
Styx
Cornicularius

Postby SicPreFix » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:12 pm

Have you read the Ian M. Banks Culture series of novels? Someone here persuaded me to read those, after I had dissed one of his other novels, and I think they are brilliant sci-fi books. Absolutely brilliant.

Charles Stross's two or three novels based on the singularity are entertaining.

Also, if you are a fan of short, though sometimes rather long, sci-fi stories, Gardner Dozois puts out an annual Best of sci-fi series that is usually very, very good. Search for them at your local book shop under the title The Year's Best Science Fiction edited by Gardener Dozois. Well worth it.

As a side note, I have to admit I gave up on the Malazan series around about book 7 or 8. I just couldn't handle yet another in that endless series of thousands of pointless hyperbolic bombastic battles with everyone's blood drenching the bitter barren dry ground under a cold angry sky in a land of lonely sorrowful injustice with sodden broken bowels, blackened bile, and too long held within piss of underfed furiosly purposed warriors soaking the endless parched sands of lonely empty lands too long forgotten but scarred in the horror of battle over eons and eons of time yet again and again and again oh so many centuries ago and yet to come ... yadda yadda ya.

Not to say anything against anyone who likes 'em. I mean go for it. But they just weren't for me. I likes me a bit of subtlety, range, and variance in my blood soaked battles.

I think. :duh:
Couch potatoes don't matter on the Web, crazy people do.
SicPreFix
MC Siccy Pee

Postby Styx » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:30 am

I tried the culture series way back, I just couldnt get into them. Didnt like the writing style I think. If I get bored enough I might try again.

I'll admit that the Malazan books were hard work in places, but I was grabbed by the sense of scale. It had a similar hook for me to LOTR. Where Tolkien gave a sense of massive depth, lots of history and culture behind what you were reading, Ericksons books had huge breadth, massive scale and the impression of more going on around the narrative than you were actually getting.

I dont like short stories as a rule. They're all either a. rubbish because the author couldnt pack enough into the short story format to make it work, or b. good but too short leaving you with the irritation of wanting the rest of a damn book that doesnt exist.

I'll add Stross to the list.
Styx
Cornicularius

Postby Scalpy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:02 am

Warlord Chronicles - Bernard Cornwell
The Winter King
Enemy of God
Excalibur

Swan Song - Robert McCammon

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn Trilogy by Tad Williams
The Dragonbone Chair
Stone of Farewell
To Green Angel Tower

The Dwarves - Markus Heitz
"Give me back my sock, you goat bastard!"
Scalpy
Cornicularius

Postby TEXAS » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:06 pm

If you can get a hold of any old copies of Astounding Science Fiction from around 1950 onwards, they normally have some great stories, especially some of the serialised ones.

Personal favourite being The Pirates of Ersatz

And here is a link to the modern equivalant - http://www.analogsf.com/2012_06/index.shtml
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:10

TEXAS
Optio

Postby seavey » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:38 pm

I know you said Sci-Fi, but I really got things going after googling "best books of 2011" as well as best books for a decade. If you pick a few years back, chances will be good that the library will have it. The one drawback is that you will have read the book every Hollywood movie is or will be about.

Off the top of my head and not really sci-fi:
The Road - Cormac McCarthy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road
Alas Babylon (old book) - Pat Frank http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alas,_Babylon
Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Traveler%27s_Wife

I also just went on a huge 1st person Irag/Afghanistan War memoir binge. I should have wrote down the names of the books as I forget them now. There were some really good ones though. All of my military reading to this point had been about conflicts before my time. It is interesting to read someone's perspectives when they have a similar background. (i.e. born around the same time as me and exposed to the same pop culture)
seavey
Signifier

Postby Styx » Sun May 06, 2012 7:00 am

Just finished both the Patrick Rothfuss books. Very good. Heartily recommended.
I read Sandersons Warbreaker, it wasn't bad. Made me realise how long its been since I last read a book that was intended to be a single book rather than part of a big series.
Moving on to his mistborn books now. Slow start, but there's time yet.
Styx
Cornicularius

Postby Bean » Sun May 06, 2012 9:29 am

Might be a bit lightweight for you but to be different to everyone else,
Apprentice Adept series by Piers Anthony, Mixes Sci-fi and fantasy worlds in one.
The Xanth series for very lightweight fantasy, Filled with puns and groanworthy humour by the same author.
There's too much blood in my caffeine system.
Bean
Cornicularius

Postby b-nutz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:38 am

John Varley - Steel Beach and/or Red Thunder
Jack McDevitt - The Academy series starting with Engines of God

I also read the Dragonbone Chair, probably on Scalpy's recommendation several years back. I still haven't got around to the second book yet, but the first was very good.
b-nutz
Centurion

Postby HalibutSurfer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:55 pm

Ready Player One - Post Apocalyptic Sci Fi based in a shitty version of the future and a virtual world. Theres a mad fixation with the 80's as well so lots of references to classic stuff from that era such as bladerunner and various video games.
HalibutSurfer
Legionnaire

Postby Bullfraged » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:17 pm

HalibutSurfer wrote:Ready Player One - Post Apocalyptic Sci Fi based in a shitty version of the future and a virtual world. Theres a mad fixation with the 80's as well so lots of references to classic stuff from that era such as bladerunner and various video games.

+1 - Great book. It hooks you pretty much instantly.
Bullfraged
Legionnaire

Postby DoG » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:43 am

I enjoyed Daemon by Daniel Suarez, goes a bit apeshit in the sequel but I still enjoyed it :D
Dogtag -Bountyhunter Powertech
Dogtags - Imperial Agent Sniper
DoG
Optio

Return to Media News and Reviews