Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

A forum dedicated to discussing new or old films, music, books or other forms of media

Moderator: Trustees

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Postby SicPreFix » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:40 pm

This is a review of the recent Gary Oldman version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, not the brilliant Alec Guinness TV version.

It's a good movie. Well acted, well cast, and well paced. Even so, it's too short, and loses far too much from the original story. Le Carre's original book was quite long, quite sophisticated, and had subplots all over the place, not to mention the amount of hard work and investigative this-and-that, that Smiley had to do to track down the spy.

I am at a bit of a loss as to why they would have bothered making this. There is simply no way they could have bettered the Alec Guinness TV version without doing either a four hour movie, or a couple of three hour movies. Also, as is really becoming tiresome with modern film makers, they altered the main character, George Smiley, in some unnecessary and ultimately meaningless ways.

Anyway, I still recommend it, and give it 3 out of 5 siccles.

I think the rave reviews are kind of goofy and way overboard though.
Couch potatoes don't matter on the Web, crazy people do.
SicPreFix
MC Siccy Pee

Re: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Postby Shagnasty » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:30 am

Couldn't agree more. Some novels are simply not suitable for a single movie.

I thought Drummer Girl was kind of pushing it, but worked. TTSS is just impossible. Simply the wrong format.

It's as if Jackson had tried to film LoTR in one movie.
Sic may well be minimising the bush wanking incident, but not half as much as the rest of you are minimising the anal rape with a stick.
Shagnasty
Trustee

Postby Cron » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:57 am

Good... but overhyped. agree with your review sic.

| PSN: Cron_13 |
| Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/cron_13/ |
Cornicularius

Postby SicPreFix » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:28 pm

As a side note, I decided to buy the original TV series in DVD to see how it, and my memory of it, compared with the current movie. I was a little surprised that not only is it as good as I remembered, it is in fact even better. Much better.

It is truly one of the best adaptations, especially considering that it was made for TV, that I have ever seen of a le Carre novel. Brilliant casting -- Guiness is George Smiley (truly exceptional acting right down to the slightest, miniscule bits of facework et al.), excellent pacing, superb screenplay. All in all, a 5-siccle piece of work if ever there was one.

Seriously, if you are a fan of the movie, I highly, highly recommend that you pick up this old, but well worthwhile TV series. And if you do that, you must also pick up its sequel (they left out the out one book in the middle for some reason), Smiley's People.
Couch potatoes don't matter on the Web, crazy people do.
SicPreFix
MC Siccy Pee

Return to Media News and Reviews