The Hobbit

A forum dedicated to discussing new or old films, music, books or other forms of media

Moderator: Trustees

The Hobbit

Postby SicPreFix » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:28 pm

Well, I hate to say it, but jesus, what a fucking disappointment. I did something I have only done three or four times in my life, which is I walked out about an hour before the movie ended. I had better, more exciting, and more emotionally stimulating things to do like grocery shopping.

Far too slow, mechanical, and lacking in any emotional grab or compelling narrative flow.

Though, even so, I could possibly have enjoyed it, or at least looked forward to watching it at home on a slow and boring winter evening with a bottle of red wine, but Jackson, as I expected, has yet again gone and made countless, wholly unnecessary, and quite disruptive, irritating, and jarring changes to the story. And, to add insult to injury, the stupid fuck has also thrown in more of his extremely irritating, and insulting, juvenile humour. Fuck you Jackson.

What the fuck is it with this guy that he so obviously believes he is a better strory teller than Tolkien? It is no wonder that Christopher Tolkien is so disgusted with him and his desecration of a classic story (not to mention that Tolkien had to sue to get his share of royalties because the fucking movie company claimed no profits ... No Profits!?! what a bunch of disgusting greedy fucks). Anyway, jesus crystals in a broken down outhouse, Jackson is really a shitty story teller, and his inventions and additions have, in my opinion, done great damage to every single one of his movies that I've seen: the LOTR trilogy, King Kong, and now The Hobbit.

I doubt very much that I will bother watching the next two installments to the story at the theater, which I think is a great disaapointment, and unless the reviews are ecstatic, I won't bother with buying even a second-hand DVD.

Probably.

I give this 2 out of five siccles. It looks great, but it's cold, slow, and unneccessarily rewritten and filled with entirely out of place humour.

Jackson, fuck you.
Couch potatoes don't matter on the Web, crazy people do.
SicPreFix
MC Siccy Pee

Re: The Hobbit

Postby Styx » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:32 pm

What I've seen of king kong was pretty shitty, but LOTR is about as perfect as films get.

I will get round to watching the hobbit sooner or later. I'm still weighing up the big screen advantage vs the getting off my arse and going out disadvantage.
Styx
Cornicularius

Postby Håkan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:53 am

The greed thing is simply Hollywood accounting, pretty standard in the business. You are aware that the return of the jedi never became a financial success, no?

As for the movie, it is based on a childrens book, and the movie is as far as I can tell and remember a pretty straight forward adaptation of it. If I had been 10 or 11 I would have loved the ever loving shit outta this movie. I sat next to a kid of about that age who was really into it and when the action got intense she jumped up and down in her seat so violently that the whole row of seats shook like Flower Tucci. I was debating with myself whether I should be annoyed by this, happy for her enjoyment or sad for my own lost childhood wonderment.
To sum up the movie I thought it was okay. It's not like the story's great or anything but there's a certain kind of nostalgia attached to it which makes me be a tad more forgiving than I would otherwise be. And truth to be told, Tolkiens storytelling left much to be desired. He had great imagination and the world he built is mind blowing, but telling an engaging story was not his forte. Leave that to Stephen King.
Jackson didn't leave anything out afaik, and the few things he changed (added the white orc, put some things in different order) was so minor I didn't mind. The whole piece with Radagast going to Dol Guldur is canon, it just wasn't included in the Hobbit.
The meeting with Gollum and the riddle game could easily have become really really awkward but Jackson handled that pretty good, I think it's the high point of the movie. Other than that, yes, it's silly, it's childish. I mean c'mon, the whole throwing the antique china while cleaning up and singing got included, and that's ALL Tolkien btw! But let me ask you this, are you really in the target market?

3 out of five Håks.
Håkan
Signifier

Postby Weazle » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:34 am

I enjoyed the movie for what it was .... mindless fantasy. It wasn't great and its nothing on the Lord Of The Rings trilogy movies (extended editions ofc). It is something like 6 or 7 out of 10 for me.

With the movies turning into a trilogy ... I believe it was Peter Jackson's idea as he had ideas on how to expand the Hobbit. Anyone remember how overly long his version of King Kong is? That's right, Peter Jackson has a tendency to shoot alot of filler.
Main Website: CreepCultMurderers(dot)com | Demos: myspace(dot)com/creepcultmurderers
"Is it true that there is a place in a man's head that if you shoot it .... it will blow up?" - PC Danny Butterman
Weazle
Trustee

Postby b-nutz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Those fucking eagles. Those were Tolkien's idea! The mountain... it's right ther ;FLDEKF jsr;iaghi; ek/jk/S Lda!!!@@!!ONE!!!!
b-nutz
Centurion

Postby Scalpy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:25 pm

I haven't seen it, but I have great reservations about it after seeing the trailer (and promotional posters over here which show Bilbo looking like some demented assasin with a sword).

A friend of mine who is also a Tolkien geek (as I am) loved it. But I fear I will end up with the same opinion as Sic.
"Give me back my sock, you goat bastard!"
Scalpy
Cornicularius

Postby Kes » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:10 am

Go see it Scalpy and make your own mind up about it. What have you got to lose except 3 hours of your life, ;)? I'm a fair-middling Tolkien geek,
I went and watched it and enjoyed it (and so did my 7 and 10 year olds).

They can't wait to see the next one and neither can I.
Texas wrote:Taste really is something that there is no accounting for. One man's masterpiece is another man's codpiece.

And just because you can't see the sweetcorn doesn't mean it's not shit...
Kes
Optio

Postby b-nutz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:30 am

Sic's reaction to it might be a little extreme. Temper your expectations a bit and go see it for fun.
b-nutz
Centurion

Postby Deadman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:28 pm

Got the DVD.. liked it.

Some stuff was added for the entainment sake..
(The Radagast parts The lonely mountain and dwarf history.)

But I presume the next two will also have some non-Tolkien stuff in it also
for the entaiment sake and fill-in for movie duration.

But for the long and short.
I find it more entertaining to watch 3 DVD's than reading the book.

The Hobbit was written for the kids...
a mellbimbóm felrobban a gyönyörtől
This is all I've got to say.
http://www.cdc.gov/images/campaigns/eme ... 00x250.jpg
Deadman
No Tool Louie

Return to Media News and Reviews